We deal with the subject of various misconceptions about massage chairs quite often in our daily routine. Indeed, anyone who is interested in massage has already heard some of them and developed certain ideas and images of what it might look like. However, out of numerous pieces of information that are published about massage chairs, some are myths that have nothing to do with reality. So, Paweł debunks misinformation and argues that all stereotypes go away the moment you become familiar with the subject of massage chairs and, in particular, the moment you try them out for yourself :-)
Massage chairs emit vibrations – MYTH
Customers’ first impression of massage in a massage chair often evokes images of vibration or shaking. This is hardly surprising, given that massage chairs used to be much simpler in design and vibration was one of their functionalities. Today, massage chairs, at least the professional ones, employ massaging arms in the spinal area to mimic the movements of the human hands and perform the massage in a specific way. And this is the first – and the main massage system. The second one consists of airbags, which gently wrap around the muscles and stimulate blood circulation in them. All this is achieved by controlling the air pressure in specific areas. More advanced models are additionally equipped with a foot massager and magnetotherapy. A number of massage chairs also feature heating systems, which increase the effectiveness of the treatment. Naturally, in some massage chairs you will find an actual vibration massage function, but this is simply one of the less significant features. In conclusion, in general, massage chairs do not vibrate, massage chairs give massages :-)
Massage chairs are reserved for the elderly – MYTH
There are two issues at the root of this myth. The first is that most people only seek aid to relax their muscles, strengthen their joints and improve their fitness when problems arise – something that usually happens in later life. The second issue is the retailers’ approach, who find it easier to promote the product to the elderly and support the sales with health-oriented arguments. And the truth is that when significant back complaints are already present, it’s often too late for a massage chair. Massage should first and foremost relax our body and improve our wellbeing, and when used regularly, it can strengthen muscles, improve blood circulation and have a positive effect on a number of areas described in the previous article. So it’s worth thinking about a massage chair when we need to relax, de-stress, before it’s too late.
Massage chairs are defective – MYTH
Of course, there are quite a few massage chairs on the market that can be described as ‘cheap Chinese products’ – and often their quality is disputable – but not all massage chairs are like that. Just as when buying a car, it’s important to make the right choice. Being manufactured in China no longer predetermines poor quality of a product. After all, most parts for Mercedes, iPhones and many other premium brands come from China. We possess knowledge of the malfunction rate of our massage chairs and we can refer to it. We know from experience that our massage chairs, especially when used at home, are virtually trouble-free. Naturally, service and maintenance can occasionally occur – the actuator or some other component wears out, but these are rare incidents where we guarantee our technical service response.
Massage chairs are expensive – MYTH?
As with any other product we can buy, massage chairs come in a wide price range. For example, we offer models ranging from PLN 4,000 up to almost PLN 42,000. But there are also chairs on the market whose price reaches PLN 150,000. And it’s probably that last price that gives rise to this myth. And of course, it’s really expensive, but it’s worth bearing in mind that this means advanced technology, sophisticated equipment, top-quality design made with premium components. Manufacturing such equipment is also costly. On the other hand, however, we should not forget about chairs priced at 4, 5, 6 thousand PLN. At this price, we can actually get a really good massage chair with high-end functions. Add to this the option of buying a chair and paying in instalments and the cost of a massage chair can be lower than a monthly subscription to a massage parlour… worth giving it a thought :-).
As we pointed out at the beginning, most stereotypes disappear the moment you get to know the subject and try out a massage chair for yourself. If you already know enough, then go to our products section and choose the model for you. Still in doubt? Simply contact us or visit our showroom in Olsztyn or Wrocław and try out all the models yourself.
– Paweł, let’s play the role of mythbusters, because there are some myths about massage chairs, aren’t there?
– That’ s true, quite a lot, but it’s probably like with any other product on the market.
– I have heard that there are three such basic myths about massage chairs.
– The first one is that massage chairs are for older people.
– Yes, there is actually a myth that a massage chair is useful for the elderly, that I still have time, I can wait, maybe when I get older I’ll buy a chair for myself. That’ s because problems, tension, muscle pains, health issues are more common at an older age and it’s followed by a greater need to buy a chair. Perhaps it’s partly because of this myth that many sellers have offered and sold their chairs to places such as health resorts, where the elderly spend their time and such a service can be somehow associated with these places. But let’s look at it from another perspective – what kind of needs we have, how we live today, what kind of posture we have at work – seated or standing, how much time we spend behind the wheel, how we take care of our spine muscles, what kind of tensions appear here and now. It’s not like we’re going to need it only at an older age, but we should be taking care of the tensions and relax right now. And in fact, who, regardless of age, doesn’t need to unwind, who doesn’t need to take care of their well-being? This may be even more intense in later years, but it is worth thinking about it now, when we can prevent future problems. In combination with sport, healthy diet, this and taking care of your muscles through massage on a massage chair or manually, is more than advisable, so it is definitely not only for the elderly.
– The second myth is that the massage chair will shake us up like the proverbial sack of potatoes.
– It comes from simple ignorance. There is also a video on the Internet where a chair shakes terribly, but the director’s role here is greater than the actual correlation with reality. Massage chairs are equipment that imitates the hands of a massage therapist, they have a system of airbags, appropriate reclining systems, heating, foot massage, various technologies that contribute to a really cool, pleasant, professional, but also relaxing massage and it’s not just about vibrations. This myth can really be disproved when you try and use the equipment for yourself, then the myth disappears and the perception changes completely. I often see it at trade fairs or during visits to the showroom, where customers say that they had absolutely no idea that it can actually work that way.
– And the third myth is that without a budget sufficient for half a car, there’s no point in showing up.
– Massage chairs, similarly to other products, have a price range. There are chairs from 3,000 up to 33,000 PLN in our offer, and I’ve once mentioned chairs for 150,000 PLN, so it seems to me that this myth is mainly motivated by people who have heard about prices of 30k, 70k or even 150,000 PLN. These prices are indeed very high, if we think that we have to pay such money for a chair. But let’s note that it’s a sophisticated technology, a powerful piece of equipment that can actually massage our body. It is often finished in natural leather, its design and production also cost money, therefore its price is different. But let’s not forget about the chairs that start from 3 thousand. With a budget of 3, 5, 6 thousand we’re able to get really good massage chairs, and in the instalment system it is even more beneficial for the customer. I believe that the myth exists, it’s there, but it stems from this upper price range. As in cars, for example, it is difficult to compare the price of a Bentley to an Opel. This is where such a myth could also circulate, that car prices are extremely high. They are in case of the most advanced ones, the top shelf cars – and the same goes for the chairs.